The secret's in the sauce! Join visiting chef Haan Palcu-Chang for a delicious afternoon exploring the flavours of Southeast Asia. Chef Haan will guide the course in making a variety of flavourful, traditional sauces that will allow home cooks to create authentic Asian dishes in their own kitchens.
The course will culminate in a stunning dinner featuring our produce and using the sauces made during the course. If you love Southeast Asian cuisine, you do not want to miss this! Participants will go home with recipes and a jar of each sauce or condiment made in class, including:
- Nam Prik Ong, Northern Thai warm relish of ground pork, tomato and yellow bean paste
- Nonya Sambal, Dried shrimp and fermented shrimp chilli paste
- Gado Gado sauce, Indonesian peanut sauce
- Thai peanut sauce, hot, sweet and salty sauce for satays
- Filipino liver condiment, sweet and sour liver sauce to be served as condiment for roast pork
A small group of 12 students ensures everyone will receive plenty of guidance and support from Chef Haan.
Described by the Globe and Mail as “part of a vanguard of young, international and thoroughly modern cooks," Haan has worked all over the world, from Copenhagen to Paris, Southeast Asia, and now Toronto. Haan's extensive travels have contributed to his signature culinary style - fresh, authentic, and exciting. Haan is a contributing writer to the Globe & Mail. For more information about Haan, see his websites: www.mamaflos.com & www.haanpalcuchang.com.
Globe & Mail: In search of true Thai food, I headed to Chiang Mai